To enter Canada, foreign workers must have the following documents on their person to present to a Border Services officer:

  • a passport or travel document that is valid for the period of the authorized stay, unless they are citizens of the United States, or residents of Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon
  • a signed job offer and/or employment contract
  • an authorization letter approving a work permit application issued by CIC (if applicable)
  • a copy of Service Canada’s positive LMO (if applicable)
  • a copy of the confirmation by a CIC Temporary Foreign Worker Unit that the job offer is exempt from a work permit or LMO (if applicable)
    evidence of credentials: education, professional and work experience (if applicable)
  • a temporary resident visa (if applicable)

Foreign workers may be denied a work permit or entry into Canada at the port of entry if the Border Services officer believes that they do not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

If you have further questions about obtaining a Labour Market Opinion, please consult the Foreign Worker Program Web site or contact the appropriate Service Canada Centre that processes foreign worker requests.

If you have further questions regarding any other citizenship or immigration issue, please consult the CIC Web site or call the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100.